Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Potty Training Sorrows

Since last week we have been potty training Jaron. He has been telling me since he was 18 months before he goes potty, he just never wanted to do it on the potty. So last week I decided to see what happens if we put him in underwear. The first day he just went in his underwear all day long. On the second day after a morning accident I told him that it makes me very sad when he goes in his pants and I really wanted him to go in the potty. To that he said "Oh OK," and has been peeping in the potty ever since. With the exception of a Sat. visit to Grandmas. Too much going on to go potty I guess.
Now going #2 is another story. We had 2 or 3 accidents before I had had it and told him not to go in his pants or he was in trouble. Well, Jaron needs to do what mom says and is very good at that. He was too afraid to go on the potty (still trying to get to the bottom of that one) and also too afraid to go in his pants so what is the only solution? To hold it. Which he has for several days, leading to extreme constipation. Every time he needs to go he starts screaming and runs to the bathroom, only to not want to get on the potty, so he doesn't go. After talking to my mother-in-law this morning about it I realized what I was doing. Putting fear into my child. He was afraid of both me & the potty; in the end causing himself pain. We had a talk and he ended up just going #2 on the bathroom floor, gross I know, but a happy medium. We will try and overcome the fear of the potty and going #2 on it. But until then I wanted to share with all the other first time potty training moms my mistake, in hopes that you don't end up in tears as your child tries so hard to please you, but just can't seem to get over his potty fear.
This picture is him napping at 10a.m. after his traumatic experience. He doesn't nap anymore usually, it was that bad for him.

No comments: