Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite Holiday's. This is when my family gets together. We get together for July 4th, Thanksgiving, weddings, & funerals.
Thanksgiving is filled with traditional food. We start the day with cinnamon rolls & had ribbon Jell-O with dinner. Those are the two things that my Aunt Linda always made every Thanksgiving we went to her house. I also remember my mom's pies.
Now that all of my Dad's brother's & sister's kids have grown up and have families of their own we no longer all get together. But I will always cherish the memories, even if I didn't always get along with my cousins.
Now it is just the Kent Barlow family that gets together for Thanksgiving. This year it was just the 5 of us. Tyson, Scott, Tricia, Stacey, & Me (taking the picture). I want my kids to know the same great holiday, so I am trying to keep those same traditions that I remember alive; not just the food but the great time with family. This year was a success I think.
We have started a new thing with just our family and that is the day-after-Thanksgiving sales. This year was a bust for me personally, but it was fun anyway. Those early morning hours always seem to bring out the silly side of everyone.
This year family shared not only good times, but a stomach bug & cold. Bryson and I had a horrible cold leading into Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving day the stomach bug broke out starting with my niece Aubree. Every family seems to have gotten it to a degree. Bryson started us off, then Don, them Me, and a week later Jaron is feeling the effects. This is the first time I have had vomiting children, so wish me luck.

2 comments:

Trishwade said...

So Sorry that Aubree started the bug. It hit her with no pre-signs of being sick, but I guess we all got that cold in one form or another too, so we shared sicknesses! But thats all part of being a family right?

Marmee said...

Hey, you've got to teach me how to make the ribbon jello salad. I had it once and loved it.