Monday, May 12, 2008

Mothers



This past week I have been pondering motherhood on many different levels. I have been thinking about my mother, the examples of mothers, how I feel about being a mother, & what I need to do to be the best one I can.
Let me start with my mother. I am so grateful to have been "born of goodly parents." My mom is so great! She always is there when I need her. She is a true friend. I am reading "Married for Better, Not Worse" by Gary & Joy Lundberg. Don't worry anyone, my marriage is just fine. I really like reading self improvement books. So, in this book it talks about what a true friend is. A true friends is (1) someone who accepts me as I am, (2) someone I can talk to, (3) someone I can have fun with, (4) someone who really cares about me, and (5) someone I can trust. I am proud to say that my mom is a true friend. I know that if I need her I can turn to her, and I always have known that. I really think the friendship that we have with our children is something lasting and valuable. She has also taught me well. She knows about the gospel and its teachings and I hunger for truth and understanding. What a great combination.
Mother's have so much power to influence their children. We see so many scripture stories of the power of the women, we read in current history of the same influence. I really like the quote "the hand that rocks the cradle, is the hand that rules the world" ~William Ross Wallace, and think that it is true.
I once struggled with my role as a mother. Meeting all these intelligent people as RA, I was somewhat ashamed of what I was doing with my life. I felt so insignificant when they would ask what I was doing right now. Amy Beecher wrote on her blog how she loved this book "I Am a Mother." Her entry really struck me and I soon owned the book and read it. I now can proudly say that I AM A MOTHER! What a divine roll and calling.
The last one is the one I really have been thinking about the most. What do I need to do to be a good mother. I strongly feel that my example is the one thing that speaks loudest to my children. What I say they should do means nothing to them, if I don't do it myself. Sure I make mistakes, but I need to fess up to them and not try and cover them up. I need to build that relationship that I have with my mother, be a true friend to my kids. I really struggle with being extremely critical of others and what they are doing. The book that I am reading also had an insight to this, it is referring to your mate, but it works with kids too. "Usually, when people are critical of themselves they are critical of others, including their mate [children]. Accepting your mate [children] for who he or she is can best happen when you accept yourself for who you are." Sure kids need to be taught and guided, but I don't always need to be making them do things my way. I need to love myself before I can share that love.
In my calling in primary I have really been drawn to a talk by Sister Lant where she talks about the three things that make a successful primary. They are (1) the children need to feel the love of their leaders & love of their Savior, (2) they need to learn the gospel and gain their own testimony and (3) children need to feel the spirit. Not until this past week while deep in a conversation did I realize, this is what I need to do as a mother. My children need to know I love them, they need to know the Savior loves them, they need to recognize the spirit, learn now to use the spirit, I need to teach them all I can, and let them gain their own testimony so that when they are faced with life and it's challenges they will know which way to go.
Mother's are wonderful and I am so grateful for the many examples I have in my life.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

You have such inspirational thoughts. I hardly know you and you are an amazing example to me. Thank you for sharing your words with me!

Pam said...

I know a lot of blogs are peoples day to day things, well this is my day to day. I don't travel all over, so I am glad someone appreciates what I have to share.

Tiffany said...

Your amazing Pam, I have no doubt that you will be the mom you desire to be. I need to go get "I am a Mother" I've been wanting to read it for a while.

Jason and Laura Roe said...

Thanks so much Pam for writing this! I really needed to hear this at this point. It has been very difficult lately being a mom and it was great to reflect on the true importance of us as mothers. You are wonderful and I am glad that even though we don't talk much, when I am able to read what you write or talk even a little, I always feel inspired. You are a wonderful mom, I am not a perfect mom, but I am striving every day to be the best mom I can be:)Laura