Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Children of the Promise

The Children of the Promise by Dean Hughes was wonderful!! I found myself reading and reading I finished the series in just a few weeks. It covers the time span of just before World War II broke out through the end of the war and some post war. Great history and interesting to see what the church did during that time.

It also had many gospel concepts that were great to reflect on and learn more about. Two that have stuck with me since I finished. First that I have a great heritage. In the books the father was constantly saying that we are Snow's & Thomas', we can do this, kind of stuff. It made me appreciate and think about what my heritage is and what my ancestors fought for so I can be were I am and have what I do. Also that I can do it! and I really believe that I can.
Second there was something that was said to Alex, the son, that applies to post war trauma, but I still liked it. They talked about taking small steps at a time. Decided what the next thing is in life and when that is accomplish go from there. I always have the tendency to try and plan out my entire life on earth, and we all know that doesn't work! As we complete one season of our life, following the guidance of the Lord, opportunities and situations we never could have imagined are opened to us. It has helped me tons! So my next plan for action in life is to support Don through this year of school. He is applying for PT school and once we know about that we can make some more decisions but there is no point in stressing myself about all that could be one day . . .

Anyway, loved the books. Yes, all of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved those books. I kind of want to read them again because I read them in high school and now I can't really remember them. Andrew was reading them when we were dating and he would always say he had to go home because he was tired and had to go to bed early but it was really because he wanted to go home and read Children of the Promise. They are so good!