Sunday, May 3, 2009

Here's to you Mom

Today is my mom's birthday. She is 60!!! She has aged very well I think, I sure hope I got that gene.
I sure love my mom! Don and I were talking about her as we drove down to her party yesterday. We both think that she is an amazing woman. Knowing her story helps you realize that. She converted to the gospel when she was 32 and decided that she needed a husband of the same faith; so she moved to Salt Lake City to do that. She found my dad, a widower with 4 kids. They dated briefly and were married. Now I am not sure that she knew what she was getting herself into a new faith, an new state, a new husband, AND 4 kids. Any normal person would have turned and ran, but not my mom. She scarified a lot through the years, trying hard to make things work. And for that I am very grateful.
Don and I appreciate her bold honesty and confidence in herself. That is refreshing when many people tread so lightly trying not offend and seem to lose themselves in the process. In church once someone compared people to a symphony, each instrument unique, but when put together they sound beautiful. She adds something very unique to the symphony of life. And I dare say she often is the instrument that no one else wants to play.
So here is to you mom. I love ya, for what you are.





2 comments:

Kent and Nan said...

WOW! Thank you my Pammy-K. I think I'm probably a tuba in the orchestra. No, I didn't know what I was getting myself into but things have worked out well for me. Love, Mom

Dani said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother. We're planning on being at Don's graduation. Can't wait to see you guys!