Sunday, February 12, 2012

I'd Like to Bear My Testimony?

As a mother I felt the importance of my children knowing FOR THEMSELVES that the church is true. We have been talking about gaining a testimony and how to do that. I realize that they might be too young for this sort of thing in many peoples eyes. But I really believe anything that goes into their little minds before the age of 5 stays there. This is something that I learned in my psychology class. So I think that teaching them how to know for themselves is really a good idea while they are young. As they get older they will be able to reflect back and know what to do when they need to figure out something. Going along with this we have been letting them practice their testimonies at the end of FHE.
Bryson wanted to bear his testimony this past fast Sunday. He was so excited all morning to do it. Sacrament started and he just couldn't wait for it to be time to bear his testimony. When it came time for testimonies several people rushed right up to wait on the stand to have their turn. We waited for the line to die down and then went up. He was really brave and stepped right up when it came his turn. But what came out of his little mouth wasn't so confident. As I sat behind him I noticed his voice was on the verge of tears. But my little man didn't back down. He said, "I'd like to bear my testimony. I know this Church is true. I know Thomas Monson is a prophet. [Long Pause] In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." He was scared out of his mind, but I was so proud of him. He did it all by himself and . . . wants to do it again next month.
I hope this is the start of my boys KNOWING, because knowing what is true and where you stand is so important in an ever changing world.

No comments: