In Agency and Love in Marriage there is a chart with
questions. The trick is to apply the questions to yourself. I used to
say, "Don is not doing that or this!" And that would make me focus on his weaknesses. One of my friends called me out
on that, how judgmental I was being and how even in marriage we aren't
justified in our judgement of character, because we don't know their
heart. That concept hit hard but once I applied it and worked on just
me, things got lots better.
Dieter F. Uchdorf also addressed the issue of mending relationships and it applies even to marriage. Reading his talk with marriage in mind was very insightful.
The same friend that called me out actually just gave a talk on marriage this last Sunday and pointed out another KEY. Both Don and I agreed it was a great tool to be used. She said that difference are just that, differences, not weaknesses and we should respect each others differences. Even learn to love them and use them as strengths.
The same friend that called me out actually just gave a talk on marriage this last Sunday and pointed out another KEY. Both Don and I agreed it was a great tool to be used. She said that difference are just that, differences, not weaknesses and we should respect each others differences. Even learn to love them and use them as strengths.
Another thing she said that I LOVED was you wouldn't
divorce your mother/father, brother/sisters would you?
So why would you consider doing that to your spouse? Aren't they our
brothers/sisters too?
I want to acknowledge that there are cases which a marriage is in fact dead, BUT mine isn't and so I need to keep it alive and well.
On that note I liked the attached Mormon Message also.
It is not that Don and I are struggling right now, it is always a topic that I seek to know more about. I love my eternal companion and the relationship that I have with him is the single most important relationship that I will ever develop. This is what I have learned over the past year of searching for personal answers and guidance, I hope it will help someone else too.
Hope you love the articles below like Don and I did.
Hope you love the articles below like Don and I did.
Agency and Love in Marriage - Ensign Oct. 2000 - ensign
The Merciful Obtain Mercy - general-conference
Saving Your Marriage -Mormon Message
A marriage, like a human life, is a precious, living thing. Spouses should exercise faith in Christ and love for each other to heal and strengthen their marriage relationship.
No comments:
Post a Comment