Friday, February 20, 2015

Asking for Help

Disclosure:  This post in no way is directed towards anyone in-particular, except myself of course.

Several things that I heard others says recently have lead to a chain reaction in thoughts that lead to this . . . "Asking for help is not a sign of weakness, it is a sign of humility."  Who said this?  ME!  I was laying in bed one day thinking over things that I had heard others say and it came to my mind.  What were the things that brought this thought you may ask. 
One person was putting themselves down for the mistakes that they had made.  I could tell it was this inner battle of self worth. I have this battle almost every day.  I relive my mistakes over and over, and they eat away at me.  I should be able to do this. . . alone!  I should be awesome enough to not need anyone to pick up my slack.  I shouldn't have slack in the first place, right? How wrong this is.
Several other comments had to do with someone asking for help.  I have heard over and over again people express, in not so many words, that others asking for help is a bad thing.  I know, I know we are suppose to be independent and not keep giving man fish but teach them to fish.  The balance is difficult, but could we not show a little more non-judgmental support please.
By others expressing such displeasure with themselves, others when help is needed my mind naturally registers, do not ask for help.
I am going to throw something else out too.  That these negative thoughts that we have about ourselves and others also turn our hearts away from God.  When we don't feel we should ask for help it also can turn our mind away from seeking help through probably the best way we can, prayer.  Yes, our Heavenly Father is waiting for us to talk to him about our hopes, dreams, and struggles.  He will help us, but we must be humble enough to ask.
When we constantly are measuring ourselves and others up to each other it leads to nothing good.  I keep thinking, "In the quiet heart is hidden, sorrow that the eye can't see."  We don't know the next persons battle.  So let's open our hearts to feel a little charity and give people the benefit of the doubt a little more. Assume good, not bad. 
"God gave us family, to HELP US become what he wants us to be.  This is how he shares is love.  For the family is of God."  We have each other to help on another, not to say, "You made your bed, now lay in it."  Which I am hearing and thus feeling a little too much. 

That is enough ranting I believe.  But I just want my awe-ha moment thought to be considered. Others need you, they need me, we need each other.  We need love, compassion, and understanding.  These feelings are what bring out the good in people.  So the next time you see someone that needs lifting up, reach out, lift the heavy heart and let them know that it's okay to need others.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen - beautifully stated. Charity is key to becoming like the Savior, charity towards others and ourselves. Thanks for sharing. I love you and your honesty - no show or pretense, just trying to be a little better every day.