During this time of year when everyone is graduating my mind has been lead to an experience I once had with my brother Brad. After many long years in school he was finally graduating from dental school. I was still living at home with my parents, as way my little brother Tyson. The four of us went out to Iowa to his graduation.
As we were driving to his graduation we were telling him what an accomplishment this was, how wonderful he was for sticking with it. I can still hear him say in a quiet voice "It isn't the greatest accomplishment I have ever made." We looked at him a little puzzled and he said, "I was married in the temple."
This simple statement has stuck with me through the years. Sometimes I get frustrated with my earthly accomplishment (or those of other, aka Don's); but that is just what they are, earthly accomplishments. Nothing on earth can replace that of eternal importance.
Brad has been one of my greatest examples. The change that he made while on his mission was a testimony to me of the power of the atonement and how if we let the Lord into our hearts he will change us.
This story is another example I always think of.
I also think of the times I have spent with his family. He is an example of putting your wife first, then your family. He teaches his children so well. I always look to him and think, it is possible. You can have a family, a career, and still raise a righteous generation. Older brothers are great! I also give a lot of credit to his amazing wife Kaylnne. I also realize that no one is perfect and their family still has its struggles, but that doesn't mean his example is any less real.
While reflecting on his example I think how he reminds me to S.M.I.L.E.
2 Nephi 9:39 " . . . to be spiritually minded is life eternal."
1 comment:
I know what you mean, Thanks for this post, I needed it today. I have a blog too tiffanyandBrianSmith@blogspot.com. It's not much yet, but hopefully I'll get use to useing it.
Post a Comment