January 4, 2009
Since Don works night I have been able to watch a lot of chick flicks after the boys go down. While watching them I find my heart so close to the surface and filled with joy. I had to stop today to ask myself the questions, why? Why am I, and many other women, drawn to love stories? The first obvious answer is we want one of our own. We want a knight in shinning armor, someone to rescue us from the bad guy, or even just ourselves. We want someone to wrap their arms around us and make us fill safe, loved, needed, and taken care of.
After pondering this question, my thoughts turned to the fact that I also am drawn to them because they help me remember. They help me remember my fairytale, my knight in shinny armor. Don was just that for me.
I dated so many guys that all turned out to have something wrong with them or would say something to me that hurt so deep I can still feel the hurt if I replay the words in my mind. With so many of them I found myself trying to be something I was not. Telling myself this must be the best there is out there. Then came Don. For the first time someone didn’t care where I was going he wanted to come. I remember I need to go finish a project at the computer lab on campus, Don not really having anything to do at the computer lab, wanted to come with me. I went to St. George to do laundry and go to the temple once a week. Don wanted to come. He didn’t care where I had to go; if he wasn’t busy he wanted to come. For the first time someone was willing to be a part of my life. I guess that is not entirely true, but this is, I wanted him to be with me. I found myself hoping he would want to come along. I didn’t grow board of him, also something entirely new to me. I want Don to be around. He made me feel like a better me. I was fun, lighthearted, and free to be me.
Don was my love story. He took me dancing in the parking lot, with music playing in the car. He bought me earrings, CD’s (that he really wasn’t too found of). He told me he loved me in front of the Manti temple. We had so much love for each other, so we got married!
But like every love story life happens and tries to make us forget those moments when our hearts wanted to burst. This is why I love chick flicks. Because for those few hours I remember, I remember the times we danced, our song playing; the first words of “I love you.”
With each year our love story continues to grow; the kisses on the forehead when I am down, the call to see how I am doing, our crazy dates, the fun get-aways; and the one to top it all, having children together. We have the downs, but the ups are so great that they cover the bad days.
So here is to my knight that loves me for me, and makes me feel like I am a queen.
1 comment:
Ok, that made me cry :) I know exactly what you mean. Here's to our Knights in shining armor.
Post a Comment