Friday, September 25, 2009

Welcome Eldon Theodore Hughes!

I am so glad he finally came and really glad my mom was here to take care of the boys.

Eldon was a little sad to go home. He had just had his circumcision done is the real problem.
Eldon with all his grandma(Gram) gifts.

So the birth story (for my records). WARNING: Contains graphic material.
I had been having contractions for three weeks before he finally came. The contractions were the ones that feel like more than just the Braxton Hicks that I had been having since week 10. They would keep me up at night. They were doing something since I was dilated to a 3+ at my 40 week check-up on Thursday. At that same appointment I had my membranes stripped. Which caused a lot of discomfort and I was still bleeding on Sat. I also asked at my Thursday appointment if there was anything that I could do to keep the contractions going once they start since they keep stopping and starting.
When I started contracting Sat. at about 3p.m. I took my midwifes suggestion and pumped a little to see if it would help keep them going. Surprisingly it did and they got stronger. Don't know if it really worked or if I just really was in labor. They got to the 3-5 min. apart that they need to be. Still not painful at all, but hey the right time apart. I decided we better get to the hospital quick before they stopped. This was around 6p.m.
They second we got out the door they seemed to stop, but Don convinced me to still let them at least check. I was dilated to a 4+ and 80% effaced. Monitors said contractions were every 3-5 min. Didn't even feel them really. Dr. Yeager decided to keep me. I asked to have my water broken and they said they would the next time they checked me. They came in at 9:30p.m. to check me and break my water. Contractions were starting to be a little uncomfortable, but nothing I couldn't ignore. At this time I was still the same as when they had admitted me. This is when things got really exciting! Contractions got worse by the minute and before I knew it I was using the breathing, relaxation, positions, and all that jazz I had prepared myself with. My main phrase I repeated in my head "Eldon will be here soon." I tried to concentrate on that moment and the joy and happiness. Don was wonderful doing counter pressure, message, and helping me rest between contractions. His touch was the most reassuring thing of all.
The pain got really bad about 10:45p.m. so I asked to have someone come in and check me. The nurse came in a little bit later and said I was a 7-8, and she started to get things ready for the baby to come. At this point I was kneeling on the bed gripping the handle bar. I started feeling tons of pressure so I told the nurse. She said it was okay he was just really low. Then I said I was burning, she said it was okay he was just really low. I then said I felt like pushing and asked if that was okay. She said sure. If any of you know about labor you know, just like I did I was about to deliver, not sure why the nurse didn't catch on. So I started pushing and then I started screaming she asked if I needed anything and I said, "A DOCTOR! He is coming out. I am holding his head." She finally looked over and had me turn on my back. Sure enough I was holding his entire head. She called the doctor in to have him catch the baby, really, no joke. So I pushed 3 maybe 4 times total. A little surprising and fast I think that I went from an 7-8 to delivered in under 10 minutes. So this is why his face is a little bruised.
Just for the record childbirth hurts really bad and I will have to re-think doing it all natural if we have another one. It was really nice to be able to feel my legs and have control the entire time though.

6 comments:

Trina said...

Wow! You did such a great job! I'm sure glad things went relatively well. He is such a cute baby congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! He is really cute! I think you are really brave for going natural. I had an epidural but it must not have been very strong. It was strong enough that I didn't feel any contractions but I still had complete control over my legs and when it came time to deliver, I felt way more than I wanted to. I don't think I will ever go natural!

Tiffany said...

You go girl! I could never do that! I'm glad he's here safe and sound and that you knew what you were doing. Good luck these next few weeks!

Keli and Mike said...

Oh man, sounds like you had it tough, but I'm so proud of you!! I was dilated to 8 before they figured out that Jamison was breach and then had to do an emergency c-section. I had been in labor for 52 hours prior to that so I had to experience the terrible contractions. I can't imagine going through the whole delivery natural, good for you!!

Hayden said...

Love the family pic! Wow- you have 3 kids! That's crazy, but oh so neat! Wish we could come visit! Take care and get some rest!

Lisa M said...

That is such a funny birth story. You made me laugh even though it probably wasn't very funny at the time. I'm so proud of you going natural! Welcome to the club!! Luv and miss ya!