Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Love for Learning

This summer I wanted to make a schedule so the kids continued to learn all summer long.  We do lots of little things to keep learning alive.  At first it was a super strict thing, but has turned into a whenever we are up for it thing.  Jaron is required to read at least 20 min. a day.  This is never a problem.  He is getting really good at it and likes to read.  He also writes in his journal and does worksheets sent home from school.  In addition to workbooks we do the following things too . . .
 
Once a weekish we get to do science.  This is by far mom's favorite as well as Bryson's.  We have explored volcanoes, quick sand, earthquakes, worms, water, clouds(pictured above), and starts . . . that is all i can remember.  but it has been lots of fun.
In the background you can see hanging on the light a blue balloon.  That has been part of our social studies lessons.  We made a world out of a balloon.  We have a map as a shower curtain but I think that they need to realize the earth is round not flat.  The learned about continents and countries.  We talked about all the Wars that American has fought around the 4th to explain Independence day.
 Every Wednesday we have a playgroup of some kind. This one was at Bell's swimming pool.  They are a family in the ward that are so nice to let us use their pool whenever we want. Other playgroups have included a welcome summer party at our house with a kid pool, slip n' slide, snow cones, and other snacks; splash pads, discovery science, and other friends homes.  It is a good mix of summer activities.
I love my kids so that means I love summer when they are all here to be with mom.

3 comments:

Lisa M said...

Glad to see that you are doing well and always being the cute mom you are! I can't believe how your family has grown. You have such cute kids. I enjoy reading your blog. Take care!
-Lisa Moss

Cathy Gray said...

Looks like super fun times at your house this summer! Thanks so much for sharing.

Elder and Sister Barlow said...

WOW! What a mom!! You always did like science in school. I'm glad you're getting your boys excited about science too. Tell all the boys I'm proud of them for continuing to learn, even in the summer. I love the picture of the boys and the jar. That could be an ad for school science projects.