On October 3rd I took the kids out to the park right by our apartment to give Don some quiet time. He has been sick in the night. We were there only a few minutes. Eldon was standing at the top of the slide and preparing to slid down on his feet, which he knows he shouldn't do and now he knows why. He called out, "Look Mom," kind of giggling because he knew he was about to do something he shouldn't. I looked down in defeat and missed the actual fall but in that split second I think that the following occurred. The slide was a little wet and he slipped and fell back on the slide. He caught himself with his right arm. I looked up and he was crying. I immediately knew something was broken. I quickly gathered the scooter he had rode to the park and asked him to walk home. He did. Landon however would not. So I left Landon there and got Kayla (who I happened to just carry this time) and Eldon home. I left Eldon home and literally ran back to get Landon, I figured I could get a little work out in for the day. When I got home I wasn't sure if it was broken or not. He was pail and whimpering but not crying loud. I woke up Don, poor Don who was suppose to be resting because he was sick. But I am grateful he was there. Don can always do anything, I swear he has super human powers. But that's another story.
We decided to just watch a movie and see if it passed. Movies make anything better. And for the time it was completely still and he felt better, but as soon as he started moving it started hurting. Don also was just gently pressing on his arm and that was very painful for Eldon. He could move it just fine. His grip strength was also weaker with the right hand. So I called the doctor to figure out if we should go in and then where we should go. We went to the KidCare/InstaCare in Bountiful. The whole time Eldon was trying to tell us he was fine and didn't need to go. Once we were there even he was very concerned about what was going to happen. I told him we would take one step at a time. I assured him that he was in charge of his body and I would tell him everything that was going to happen.
They were really great there. I let the nurse know that he was a little scared of doctors since the last time he went they asked him to sit on the table and then proceeded to cut him without the numbing stuff having worked, again another story. But they were super awesome and got his arm taken care of. The X-Ray clearly showed a buckle fracture on the large bone just above his wrist on the right arm. After the X-Ray was the toughest part since now it was time to splint his arm. He was worried they were going to hurt him/cut him. He let them do it though and got a Slurpee after to make it all better. Here's to hoping that this experience eased his fear of doctors.
Our awesome Eldon didn't even take and medication, because he won't, but he has done good. The day after was the worst, pain wise. But we made it without any tears.
Eldon got his cast on on the 6th. He did awesome. He chose purple because he was Donatello for Halloween and wanted it to match.
It did so great with the whole thing and we got his cast off on the 3rd of November. All is well with his arm.
1 comment:
Did the casting go well? What color did he choose?
Post a Comment