Tuesday, December 30, 2014

That's a Wrap on 2014

Thanksgiving and Christmas have always been one of my favorite times of the year.  I love being with family and friends.  I love traditions.  They aren't a burden to me, but something that I hold on to during the storms of life.   I love to remember good times.  I love to watch the snow come down.  I love the anticipation of Christmas morning.  But through the past few years "the Holidays" seemed to have morphed into something I didn't really love, expectations. The list of expectations isn't something I really care to dwell on, so I won't. But this year I wanted it to be different.  I had a list of the essentials but the rest could be considered frosting.  I would let it be just that, sweet topping on something already great.  My goal worked for me, and I hope for the rest of those that were influenced by it. 
First essential was to carry out the important traditions.  Oddly at Thanksgiving that is ribbon Jell-O and letting the cousins play all day together.  Easy enough.  At Christmas the traditions include: gingerbread houses, sugar cookies for Santa, a thought-out and meaningful reading of the nativity, Santa leaves some of the same things every year, breakfast cake. A family party on both sides has started to become a tradition as well.  Snow in Utah is always a must for me, although I can't actually make that occur, it isn't Christmas without snow.  Heavenly Father seems to take care of me every year on this one.  It has become something I consider a special gift from him.
Another essential this year was to capture Kayla's first Holidays.  Done and done.
The most important essential for me was to wipe away all the none important things and let the true meaning of the season sink deeper into our families life.  I had big plans here that were kind of shot down by illness.  We got sick the last three weeks of December which prevented us from doing a lot of things.  BUT I sure love my boys and I think think that they could tell you why we celebrate Christmas. So all in all I would think it was a success.
I have to say that Don really made my holiday season by doing the 12 days of Christmas for me.  Even with him busy and gone a lot, I felt so loved.  What an awesome man he is.   
I am excited to see what a new year will bring.  I hope that there are lots of good things in store and can't wait to get started.

No comments: