Buddha Wept by Rocco Lo Bosco
"Most literature devoted to the Cambodian holocaust argues that no real recovery is possible for survivors. Though this is certainly true for many, Rocco Lo Bosco's close friendship with a Cambodian survivor, coupled with his own beliefs and the teachings of Gurani Anjali, motivated him to create a strong and passionate counter-statement through Buddah Wept."The Cambodian holocaust is one of the tragic things that happened in history. Even though it is tragic and very sad I find myself searching for answers and information on the subject. I guess more than anything I seek for understanding.
This book was not too graphic as I was worried it would be. It also ended on a positive note, very surprising considering the event at hand. Bosco is not the best at writing novels, he is a poet by trade, and that shows in the book. But still it was good in my opinion.
Her closing statement, the woman that survived the holocaust, was very powerful to me and has truth to it. I will share my favorite part although there were many good parts:
"Don't think the power of you is far away. It lies waiting just beyond your next thought, your next breath, your next heartbeat. It lies waiting silently in the the silence you cover up with the noise of your days and the dreaming of your nights. When you realize this power your heart becomes gentle. You express knowledge of it as non-violence.
"The greatest expression of knowledge is non-violence. The knower does not wish to harm any living thing in thought, word, or deed. Not because one is afraid to hurt. Not because one was told not to hurt. Not because it is the right thing to do. But because one knows that it is impossible to hurt another without harming one's relationship with one's own life."
No comments:
Post a Comment