Monday, July 21, 2008

My Take on Death

I just love our R.S. lessons. The teachers are so great and I am alone for that one hour, that in and of itself is priceless. The lesson was on death this week. I just have to write down what Julianne Kress said before I forget. She related death to leaving a child in nursery. It isn't a bad thing to leave them there, but when you leave them there they do not understand why/where you are going & they know you will come back, but still don't see why they can't come. They are afraid or sad because they don't understand. Death is the same way.
I must say that the greatest fear for me is not death, but what I would leave behind if I did leave. Would my boys (all three of them) be able to get along without me, would my two younger ones be raised right? I also fear the change that death could bring by taking someone I hold dear. Sometimes it is good to share insecurities and this is one of mine.
I also find it very interesting in the books I haven been reading that people of other religions also want to (or do) believe in life after death. We want to know we will see our loved ones again, in fact we want to believe they never really leave us. I think this is also true. When someone is no longer there in body, their spirit remains with us. Not all the time, but when it counts they are there.
I never met my mother's father, he passed when she was just 17, but I can tell you I know him. I have felt his comfort in years past. Sometimes his presence was so strong I could have sworn he was actually there. How do I know it was him? I just know.
Our wedding, Don's grandma Hughes was there although her body was not. But we both knew she was there sharing in that special moment.
Judy, my father's first wife passed on before I was born, but I know she remains with our family. We see her every now and again, and feel her presence. I hope T-man doesn't mind me sharing, that she was there at his wedding. We were all there one celestial family!
I do understand that I will see my loved ones again, in fact I know it, and that gives me great hope, joy, and faith in the Lords plan. So Grandpa Barlow, Grandpa Fredericks, Grandma Hughes, Grandma Cox, Grandpa Leedy, Judy, and our dear little Joshua, 'till we meet again, because I know we will.

No comments: