Saturday, July 26, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
"A Thousand Splendid Suns is a breathtaking story set against the volatile events of Afghanistan's last thirty years -- from the Soviet invasion to the reign of the Taliban to post-Taliban rebuilding -- that puts the violence, fear, hope and faith of this country in intimate, human terms. It is a tale of two generations of characters brought jarringly together by the tragic sweep of war, where personal lives -- the struggle to survive, raise a family, find happiness -- are inextricable from the history playing out around them.Propelled by the same storytelling instinct that made The Kite Runner a beloved classic, A Thousand Splendid Suns is at once a remarkable chronicle of three decades of Afghan history and a deeply moving account of family and friendship. It is a striking, heartwrenching novel of an unforgiving time, an unlikely friendship, and an indestructible love -- a stunning accomplishment."

After reading this very quickly so I wouldn't be sad for more than a day or two, I am beyond grateful to live in America. Words just don't say it, I am grateful to be able to be my own person and not have fear of expressing myself. Also if you ever are starting to pity the life that you have, or think your lot in life is too hard, maybe you should read this book. We have it sooooo easy. There were many bad things that happened to the women that were described. So I give caution to those of you who are tender at heart and sensitive to things, as I am. I do not think I will venture in reading
The Kite Runner for a while just for this reason.

No comments: